Friday, June 24, 2011

Shifting Process

exploratory scroll
concept sketch
concept sketch

concept model

concept model

line generator

drawings from line generator

drawings from line generator

3D rendering of line generator

shift concept

concept sketch

analogous model

flower shop concept
We were asked to think of concepts of death and dying. I have been drawn to the life of Virginia Woolf; therefore I began to examine her suicide. I began the final semester project with a death scroll documenting the drowning of Woolf; her portrait becoming more disfigured as the scroll unravels until it is completely darkened by graphite. Suicide as a means of death is a shift from the natural progressing of life. It is someone taking life in to their own hands and away from fate. To explore this notion of shifting, I took the perfect form of an egg and cracked it. Using a make-shift line generator, I explored shifts through a 2-D field and then translated those shifts into a 3D string model. It was my job then to employ this examination of shifts, suicide, and death into a flower shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment